Storm Front from Last Year, But You Get the Idea

The weather was just awful. The mercury read 95 °F, but with the humidity it felt like 110 °F. I got up at dawn to mow the lawn. It hadn’t been touched in almost a month and was nearing jungle state. As soon as I was done, Anne and I walked. Come dinnertime, the storm arrived. I kept wondering if the new gas stove would continue to run, if it lost power. This wasn’t a problem with the old stove, but the new one is so high-tech who knows what would happen…

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain,
And the waving wheat can sure smell sweet,
When the wind comes right behind the rain.

We only got about 50 MPH winds. The bowed squall line that hit Chicago head-on, extended from south of here in Saint Louis, all the way up to Milwaukee. We never lost power, but the block across the street did. There were lots of little branches down in the yard, but no big ones. Part of the reason that we lucked out was that we had asked the city to remove the Silver maple on the parking strip. It had lots of dead branches. They took it down while we were at the cabin.

I’m Just a Little Black Wall-Cloud, Pay No Attention to Me.

When we walked the next day, we saw a lot more debris. The storm sewers were roaring like I’ve never heard them before. The product of all that sewer work that we had to endure. Still, the damage wasn’t as bad as I had expected it to be.

One casualty though has been the area’s weather radar. Since the storm it has been down repeatedly. This morning, we went for another walk and it being cloudy out I checked the radar. Everything looked A-OK. Anne noted as we continued to walk that it appeared to be getting darker. I checked again and everything was still clear. Then we heard the first peal of thunder. This time when I checked the radar, I noticed that the reading was two-hours out-of-date. The radar was down again. We beat feet home, as the sky turned darker and the thunder more ominous, but made it to the house before the heavens opened up on us. By the time we made it home, we were only a wee bit fresh and not soaked like drowned cats. Now we’re under another flood warning. I bet the storm sewers are working overtime again.

Leave a Reply