We drove to Rolla today. It was pretty much a ride in the rain, both ways. I did see some rather soggy motorcyclists along the way, but we kept dry in the Prius. We drove there to meet our longtime friend, Chris. He was in Joplin, visiting his brother. Rolla served as a good midway point between Joplin and Saint Louis. I had asked my Spacely Sprockets colleagues of the UMR persuasion for a good luncheon local and they delivered with Los Cazadores (the Hunters), a Mexican restaurant. Over lunch, we spent several enjoyable hours catching up on our news, reminiscing and hatching future plans. Somehow our discussion turned to the question of the difference between normal senior dementia and Alzheimer. Chris offered the following clarification. Normal senior dementia is signified when you forget to zip up your fly after you pee. Alzheimer is indicated if you forget to unzip your fly before you pee. With talk like that we ended up clearing out all of the luncheon crowd and still had more to say. It was all good!
As the year 2016 winds down a there is an air of foreboding towards the new year. On this new year’s eve though, I choose not to look forward, but to look back over the past year and to only look for the beauty and happiness that was there. I’ve chosen a dozen photos here that I liked and that captured some of the good things that I have seen this past year. Here is a synopsis of the photos:
- A brown pelican is caught swallowing a skate off of Pacific Grove, CA
- A pair of surfers as seen looking down from the pier in Monterey
- Me swimming in Lake Superior at sunset and yes it was cold
- White fluffy clouds over Lake Superior on a beautifully warm beach day
- Quebec City ferries crisscrossing the Saint Lawrence River
- Women’s Category 1 crit race line-up at Lafayette Square in Saint Louis
- Yosemite’s Half Dome shot in the black and white style of Ansel Adams
- Boaters on ‘The Lake’ in Central Park, New York City at sundown
- A honey bee on a cone flower at the botanical gardens, Saint Louis
- Historic Alley Springs Mill, which is located is rural Missouri
- White Trumpet Pitcher Plant at the botanical gardens, Saint Louis
- Snapping Turtle by the bike path in Forest Park, Saint Louis
I chose these pictures with an emphasis on nature and outdoors activities. I also selected these twelve photos as a representative cross-section of the places that I’ve been to over the last year and the different things that I saw there that were both beautiful and interesting. Enjoy! We will see you on the flip side and have a happy New Year! I mean, how bad could it really be? Yeah that bad.